At this time, parts of our microfilm collection of newspapers are unavailable for research due to a digitization project. The newspapers being digitized will be unavailable both to the public and to staff for 2-3 months at a time. Any research requests received by mail for obituaries or other articles needing those particular newspapers will be held by staff and the research will be performed once the microfilm is returned.
We have been given this opportunity, at no cost to the Historical Society, by Newspapers.com to have our microfilm digitized and be made more widely available through their website.
Other local organizations that hold county newspapers on microfilm or have computer access to newspapers online are the Northeast Pennsylvania Genealogical Society in Hanover Township, and the Luzerne County Library System – check with your local public library to see what format they have available (example: Osterhout Free Library, West Pittston Public Library).
This announcement will be updated with the newspapers that are currently out:
- The Evening News (Wilkes-Barre) 1909-1938
- The Sentinel, Daily Standard, Plain Speaker (all Hazleton) 1879-1908
- Luzerne Union/Union Leader 1853-1907
- Wyoming Herald 1818-1833
- Susquehanna Democrat & Republican Farmer 1810-1853
- Daily News Dealer (Wilkes-Barre) 1884-1903
- Mountain Echo (Shickshinny) 1882-1883; 1937-1966
- Plymouth Star, Plymouth Weekly 1875-1896
- Wilkes-Barre Telephone 1880-1892
- The Gleaner & Luzerne Advertiser 1811-1816
If you have any questions, please contact our Library at (570)823-6244 x 2.