Since its construction in 1893, this building has been in continuous use for the Luzerne County Historical Society. Originally, the building housed the exhibits, library, and main offices of the Society. Since the library and archives and main office moved down the street to #49 in 1972, the building has functioned solely as a Museum.
A long-term exhibition on the Native Americans of the Wyoming Valley includes local artifacts ranging from stone implements of the Archaic period to the archeological evidence of European influence.
Changing exhibitions emphasize the stories of people, places and events in Luzerne County, featuring objects, photographs and paintings from the Society's collection. The gift shop is open during the Museum’s visiting hours. Besides items relating to the collection, the gift shop offers a variety of local publications.
Free for LCHS members; $5 for non-member adults and $3 for non-member children.
The Museum is located at 69 Rear South Franklin Street in downtown Wilkes-Barre, directly behind the Osterhout Free Library. Parking is available at meters along South Franklin Street, or one of the nearby parking garages or lots (the closest garage is just down the street at Boscov’s Department Store). The museum can be contacted at (570) 822-1727.
Hours of Operation
The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 12pm to 4pm. We are often closed on holiday weekends (Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc.).
Native Americans in the Wyoming Valley (long-term)
- "Bringing the Giant to Its Knees": The History of the Giant's Despair Hillclimb (through July 15, 2017)
"Points of View: Luzerne County Landscapes" (through January 31, 2018)