How to support us!
Donate - Preserve our local history
All donations support the programs, collection and exhibitions of LCHS and are tax-deductible in accordance with state and federal laws.
Annual membership in LCHS is available for individuals, couples, families or businesses. A membership includes benefits extended to you (free admission to our sites, voting privileges at our annual meeting, discounts on events, etc.).
A donation to our annual appeal supports our operations and programs. It is fully-tax-deductible and does not convey any benefits to the donor. Annual appeal gifts can be made in any amount.
Do you want to learn more about history? Have you always wondered about how museums and libraries care for and research their collections? Or would you like to help out at Society programs and events? The Luzerne County Historical Society is looking for volunteers who can commit to short-term and/or long-term projects.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Tour guides at the Denison & Swetland Houses. Enthusiasm and curiosity are required, as well as good people skills. Training is provided.
Front Desk Help & Researchers
At the Bishop Library in Wilkes-Barre. Previous research experience is preferred, but not required.
LCHS Museum and Bishop Library. Computer skills are helpful and attention to detail is essential.
Special Events and Booth Sitters
Help out at our events and programs and/or at our information booths at local events, like the Fine Arts Fiesta.
- Volunteers will be recruited on an as-needed basis. Volunteers may be recruited through a special interest or a general interest in volunteering, which will be matched with a specific assignment.
- To be considered for an assignment, all volunteers must fill out and sign an application form. A security check and reference check may also be required.
- The volunteer program is overseen by the Volunteer Coordinator in conjunction with the Executive Director. Records will be maintained on each volunteer to include dates of service; assignments; performance evaluations; and training attended. All volunteer records will be considered confidential.
- Individuals aged 17 and under must have parental consent to participate in volunteer activities.
- Volunteers must represent the LCHS in an appropriate and responsible manner at all times and abide by the policies and procedures of the LCHS.
- All volunteers are expected to be prompt and reliable in reporting for duties and to follow through on all commitments. If unable to work because of illness or other circumstances, the volunteer must notify the Volunteer Coordinator and/or an LCHS staff person.
- Volunteers are expected to follow the LCHS dress code and to wear a Volunteer badge at all times when on duty.
- Problems and concerns are to be reported promptly to the staff supervisor or Executive Director.
- Volunteers are requested to provide adequate notice before terminating their position.